Thursday, November 3, 2011

Carter Weston Caywood


I want to write down Carter's birth story before I forget all the details :)
It kind of all started in the few days before he was born. I was SO crampy and while I was at my appointment on Thursday I almost passed out (story of my pregnancy) and then just felt yucky for the rest of the day. On Friday I actually did pass out at home (seriously don't know what's wrong with me) so when I started having contractions that night around 8:30 and they lasted a couple hours I called my doctor and he told me to come to the hospital so they could monitor the baby. I really didn't want them to send me home so I asked if I could wait until the contractions got more intense, but he told me he wanted me to come in right away.
I left by myself so we wouldn't have to call a babysitter for Jackson until we knew for sure that I was staying. I got to the hospital around 11:00 and the nurse checked my cervix at 11:30 and I was dilated to a 3. I was a 2 at my appointment the day before so my doctor told me I was staying and having the baby! The nurse said I could have my epidural whenever I wanted and I told her the sooner the better (I don't have a very high threshhold for pain). I called Weston while I was waiting for the epidural and he called our aweseom friends over to watch Jackson and came to the hospital.
I think my doctor was super tired and didn't want to come in until the morning because he told the nurse not to give me Pitocin or break my water. Which was fine because my epidural did it's job and I slept for about 3 hours until the nurse checked me again at 3 am. I was dilated to a 6 at this point, which was great!
My doctor came in around 5:30 and when he checked me I was at a 9.5. He said he had a couple other patients to check in on but he would be back in 15 minutes. Well, 15 minutes turned into an hour and let me tell you if I hadn't had my epidural I would have been cursing his name! I could feel a lot of pressure down there and I knew if I wasn't all numbed up it would have been really hard not to push.
When he came back I was at a 10 but my water still hadn't broke. He broke my water and we did a practice push. I guess when I pushed the baby started crowning because he said, "ok stop stop!" and told the nurse to call all the other "helpers" in. I ended up pushing through three contractions and baby Carter was here!
They layed him on my stomach to clean him up and Weston cut the cord. They took him to weigh him and do his Apgar test then brought him back and we got to keep him for about a half hour until they took him to the nursery.
It was, seriously, such a great experience. I have the best doctor and I had great labor and delivery nurses. The hospital I delivered (both kids) at is the only one in the state where the nurses only have one patient so they are there with you the entire time giving you 100% of their attention. It's fantastic! I almost want to stay in Houston so I can have all my kids there!
Anyway, my recovery this time around has been super speedy. I was pretty much feeling back to normal before I even left the hospital. Being home has been fantastic. Carter is such an easy baby. He hardly ever cries and he is sleeping great. Jackson has been adjusting very well. He loves his "baby bwudow." Last night he came and sat by me on the couch while I was holding Carter and was giving him kisses and holding his hand. When the baby sneezed, Jackson thought it was the funniest thing ever. It was the cutest thing ever to see Jackson loving his brother so much!

1 comment:

Katie B said...

Just saw this! It seems like everything (minus the passing out) went so smoothly. No castor oil this time! I bet you're just soaking this all in.